1.21.2011

Knot your average friendship bracelet

Wandering into one of my all time favorite places, cough cough, Target, this morning, I was bombarded by red baskets, pink heart doilies, and a million Valentine's Day chotzkies. Truth be told, with so much on my brain these past couple of weeks I hadn't really given a thought to cupid's holiday. It got me thinking about what I could do for the one I love (yes, Ross, we are still going skating) and also what I could do for some of my friends, who mean so much to me.

Usually, when it comes to giving friends Valentines, the buck stops in 5th grade. You know the old drill: your mom buys you 5 packs of Valentines with Strawberry Shortcake on them, you sign your name on all 30 of them, and hand out to your entire class. But, from the time boyfriends were invented circa 6th grade, V-day has always been about you+him=love. Now that we are getting older, I think it's time to show our friends how much we adore and appreciate them just as much as we tell our guys.

I saw this cute idea on Martha Stewart's site. She has a slew of creative, fun V-day DIY gifts that any mom, friend, daughter, and sister would adore (ie. candy jewels, seed planters, lavender satchels). One of my personal favorites was this friendship bracelet that is pretty for all ages (not just the under 5 crew). After spending 4 months in Asia, I came home with my wrist adorned with 6 beaded or woven bracelets. I received tons of compliments and all my friends wished I had brought home extras for them. These kind of tie on bracelets are always unique and add a little something extra, especially when made personally for a loved one.


To get really sassy, try a gold charm or heart in place of the mother-of-pearl fasteners. Pretty!

Have fun and get to knotting--Valentine's day is only a few weeks away!
L

No comments:

Post a Comment