1.20.2011

3rd Corner- Encinitas

I went on a much needed catch up date to 3rd Corner (@Coast Hwy & H St.) a couple weeks ago with my friend Cecily. She had recommended it due to the yummy apps (in particular their baked brie), warm ambiance, and most importantly, their cheap vino.


We arrived around 7 on a Wednesday night, and were seated promptly. As I glanced around, I felt that the place was effusing a familiar air...a uniquely San Francisco air. Not many times have I ventured out in San Diego and felt that way. The specific air I'm speaking of is one reminiscent of San Francisco's Marina district, where I had resided for the past 2 years. You can practically smell the hipness walking those hills. But, the difference is, in SF it's overdone. Here, it's almost refreshing.

Our waiter was witty without being obnoxious. Even better, he didn't come over 7 times to ask if we were ready. Once he took our order, we ventured over to their wine section after leaving our purses on the chairs at the table. I hesitated at first, but Cecily kindly had to remind me I wasn't in Asia anymore. Any place that has a whole room devoted to wine in any price range is my kind of hangout. We opted for a $17 Cab Sav and had our man open it up for us. (Only gripe, $5 corkage fee...wasn't expecting that since it is their
wine...Just sayin'.)

Their Wine Vault- via TLS Images
We quickly decided we were going to be real calorie counters that night: baked brie with toast to start, followed by their delicious Butter Lettuce Salad:  apples, grapes, blue cheese, candied pecans, apple cider vinaigrette (Note: We ordered this crisp summery salad because even though it's winter in the rest of the US, in San Diego it's still 70 degrees), and finished up with the Truffle Risotto with parmesan. Decadent and good for leftovers too. All in all the meal and experience was a solid 9 stars.

Upon finishing [almost] the entire bottle of wine, we rubbed our full bellies and vowed another date night was in order soon. A lovely place for good friends who like good (& cheap) treats.

Cheers!
L

No comments:

Post a Comment