3.07.2011

Sausage, Egg, and Cheese Sandwich

I have never been one to shy away from breakfast sandwiches, despite the calories, grease, and probable MSG content. Egg McMuffins? Love 'em. Starbucks Sausage Sandwiches? Love those even more. I'm aware this makes me sound like a fatty with poor eating habits, and I apologize for that. If you, too, are into this kind of breakfast treat most 5 year olds would swoon over, read on for a healthier alternative you can make at home in two minutes or less.

I concocted this simple morning meal yesterday. When I went to reach for my usual (eggs and honey wheat english muffin), I noticed a new package of Jimmy Dean's turkey mini sausage patties. And the genius idea formed.

All you need is:
-1 egg
-1 Thomas Honey What English Muffin
-1 small slice cheese (I use medium cheddar)
-1 Jimmy Dean fully cooked mini turkey sausage patty
-dab of butter
-salt & pepper to taste


1. Crack the egg into a ramekin or small dish. Place the dish, as well as the sausage patty (with the cheese on top of the sausage) on a paper towel in the microwave and cook both egg and sausage for approx. 40 seconds. Meanwhile, toast your english muffin.

(If you start to hear the egg bursting, let it cool for a second then put back in until the clear portion of the egg is almost white. You can always put a paper towel over it so it doesn't make a mess of your microwave.)

2. Lightly butter your toasted muffin, and place the sausage with cheese on one side and plop the egg out of the ramekin onto the other. Be sure not to break the yolk- it's pretty fragile.

3. Add a little salt and pepper, close together, and voila- your breakfast treat is ready for feasting upon!

Do you love runny eggs as much as me?

If you want, you can dip it in ketchup or Tabsco for an extra twist. Let me know what you think!

Enjoy!

xo,
L

1 comment:

  1. i love over medium runny eggs so much! and don't worry, i eat probably worse than a 6 year old boy. so you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete